“Just wait till marriage” didn’t cut it for Danielle, and it won’t help you either when it comes to navigating the real world… not in a way that will help you have healthy, intimate relationships now and in the future.
We’re talking about re-defining words like “purity” & “modesty”, what it means for women in the Church, & how to replace “Purity Culture” – challenging the Church to go deeper.
By doing this, you’ll help the podcast spread on iTunes and help empower more ambitious women.
What comes to your mind when you hear the word “Purity”? “Modesty”? “Women’s Sexuality in the Church?”
Before you conjure up images of your middle school girl’s youth group “purity retreat” – or start on a bitter rant about double standards for women in the Church (wait, just me?) –
I want to invite you into a NEW conversation about what IS going well when teaching women and girls about:
- Sex & the NORMAL, real, desire our bodies have for pleasure,
- True Relational intimacy and Biblical sexuality,
- & Living a pure and modest life exemplified by Christ through truth & grace…
… and then CHALLENGE a “purity culture” that’s all rules & shame.
We’re talking about how to replace “Purity Culture” – challenging the church to go deeper.
After listening to this episode, you’ll learn:
- New definitions for words like “Purity” & “Modesty” (did you know you can be both modest AND sexy simultaneously?)
- The difference between Guilt & Shame when talking about “purity” & sexuality in the Church
- 3 things your church can start doing RIGHT NOW to start talking about these issues – and how YOU can be a safe person in your Church & community to start these conversations.
>>>> Get a FREE DOWNLOAD with tips to start challenging Purity Culture from Danielle Tate THIS FRIDAY when you SUBSCRIBE to the Femperfect Friday Resource Newsletter<<<<
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
Danielle’s NEW BOOK: Restoring the Lost Petal
- Thrive Ministries: DanielleTate.org
The Woman Caught in Adultery: John 8:1-11
- “kyrie“ Greek word for “Lord” that calls on his merciful nature – implying the woman recognizes her guilt and realizes she’s been extended Mercy by Jesus in John 8.
- Femperfect Podcast episode 01: Sex is NOT Like the Movies w/ Lisa Graham Mcminn
- Sermon by Hilary Davis – Jesus the Mama Bear – John 7:45-8:11. “Jesus UN-traumatizes the woman caught in adultery”. He defends, protects, & takes every single stone they would throw. But by shielding her, “He creates a protected space, in which this woman can experience grace”.
- Biblical Sexuality & Parenting – BOOK: Growing Strong Daughters: Encouraging Girls to Become All They’re Meant to Be by Lisa Graham Mcminn (listen to our episode on this HERE)
- Biblical Sexuality & Marriage- BOOK: Sheet Music: Uncovering the Secrets of Sexual Intimacy in Marriage by Dr. Kevin Leman
Scientific research on NORMAL THINGS that happen in your body and in your relationships over time in regards to healthy sexuality & intimacy – BOOK: Intimacy & Desire: Awaken the Passion in Your Relationship by Dr. David Schnarch, PhD.
QUOTES (From Danielle’s NEW book!)
- “Just wait until you’re married” didn’t cut it for Danielle. Years later, she found herself stuck in her marriage, tied down by the chains of her past. In Restoring the Lost Petal, Danielle shares her story of a messy sexual past that didn’t go away with wishful thinking.
- “Modesty is a wonderful, biblical thing, but it is quickly taken to extremes by man, and the Enemy, and used as a weapon against us”.
- “Your story, similar or different to mine, did not end yesterday. The past does not have to be the backdrop of your future. What you are doing now does not have to be the way you live the rest of your life. With God, all things are possible, including restoration, which will allow you to live a thriving life”.